HOW TOTE BAGS OF LOVE DID IN 2017
Tote Bags of Love is a very small organization with only a numeral number of volunteers. The majority of our volunteers are Senior Citizens and many have issues with their health. The year 2017 was an interesting one for Tote Bags of Love. Starting in November 2016 thru October 2017 the Founder of Tote Bags of Love, Sharon Therrian have had 2 major surgeries and broke the humerus bone in her left arm in two pieces. Sharon was told that she could not lift anything heavier than a fork until January 2018. After that she will not to be able to lift anything heavier than 5 pounds. At the production events Tote Bags of Love supplies everything – scissors, rulers, material, thread, sew machines (ours are all metal and made in the 1970s or earlier). we supply water and snacks. People are told that all they need to do is attend the event and want to help. Due to Sharon’s restrictions and other volunteer health issues it became necessary to put all our production events on hold starting November 2106 until further notice. That did not stop us from helping those in need. With the help of our wonderful volunteers and members and organization within our community we could do the following.
- Gave over 3 dozen Hats, Scarfs, Gloves and Socks Turning Point located in Mt. Clemens
- Donated over a dozen hats to Big Family of Michigan in Harrison Township.
- Donated 50 Mini Duffel bags to the Women Marines Association, MI-2 Motor City Chapter.
- Gave 20 Weather-Proof Tote Bags, 20 Mini Duffel Bags, and 10 Multi-Use Tote Bags to The Orchards Cupboard Food Pantry
- Gave over a 100 pieces of various personal size hygiene products (soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc.) to Trinity Lutheran Church located in Utica, MI. They have a ministry called SSS – Supper/Sack Lunch/Showers. Every Sunday between 2:00 – 5:00 PM they provide a meal, showers, haircuts (when available) and clothing to an average of 110 guests. A sack lunch is also available to each guest as they leave. 15% of their guests are homeless, the rest of them are often income challenged. Trinity has been doing this since August, 2002.
- Gave 53 Weather-Proof Tote Bags filled with Hygiene Kits giving to Old Settlers VFW Post 4659, Shelby Township, MI.
- Gave 50 Mini Duffel bags to the Women Marines Association, MI-2 Motor City Chapter to be place in large post office boxes and sent overseas to our service personnel
- Over a 50 pieces of full size hygiene products (soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc.) to Turning Point in Mt. Clements, MI
- Gave $100.00 to Kiwanis Club Utica Shelby Twp. for 2017 Kid’s Day at the Farm
- Gave a variety of school supplies to Woman’s Life Chapter 911 for their back to school drive.
- Gave 90 backpacks filled with school supplies and hygiene products for autistic children that go to school in Pontiac.
- Had 158 Christmas cards signed that will be sent overseas to our military.
- Gave 90 Weather-Proof Tote Bags to Feed the Need – Filled with Hygiene Kits
- Gave 10 Multi-Use Tote Bags to Powel Junior High in Romeo – 6 were filled with school supplies
- Gave 2 dozen stuff animals and 18 coloring books to Big Family
- Gave 30 Personal size Soap, Moisture, Emery Boards, and Shampoo to “All Worthy of Love” located in Pontiac that helps individuals that have been involved with Human Trafficking
- Gave 24 Weather-Proof Tote Bags and 49 Hygiene Kits to Handbags of Hope
- Gave a variety of school supplies, 50 large toothpaste, and 50 large soap to Big Family